Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Random thoughts: Body image, my parents and becoming a mom

The closer I get to my due date the more I think about how I want to raise my kids and what I want to teach them. Even though I'm nearing the end of pregnancy (11 weeks to go) it still doesn't seem completely real most days. Randomly it will hit me that soon ill have a little one of my own and how different it will be from being around my friends kids, I still haven't quite grasped that fully.
During these last few months and weeks especially as my body has changed the most Ive really thought about body image. I expected to grow a belly, and it was weird at first, but not as weird as I thought it would be. I didn't quite expect to feel like everything is growing. I feel like I'm getting big everywhere and its a not my favorite feeling, but at the same time its completely worth it.
The more I think about it I realize how lucky I am, not only for having a little baby growing inside but I'm also pretty lucky to have an awesome family, parents especially.
Thinking back through my life neither of my parents ever made comments like "your thighs are getting big","oh look at that double chin" or "You really shouldn't eat (insert food here) and you really need to exercise more". Healthy eating was encouraged, we didn't snack endlessly on treats, candy and soda. We rarely had soda in our house, besides special occasions. We snacked on fruit and to this day my dad cuts up apples to snack on when we visit.We played outside, took family bike rides and swam on the swim team. We didn't own gaming systems and would spend hours playing whatever sport or games outside over watching TV.
Now, being older and almost having my own little one I really appreciate the positive outlook I gained through having fun while being active and eating pretty healthy.
Of course we had days of treats, eating mac and cheese, sat around watching TV for too long but we were never put down for it. Never had negative words said to us about it. Never had the ideas of going on a diet put into our heads. I cannot remember one time where a negative comment was made about my body or eating habits that came from my parents, and in my opinion that is how it should be. I didn't grow up with my mom complaining she was fat or that she needed to diet and I don't want to be that mom to my kids either. I really hate when I hear a mom complaining she is fat, especially around her kids. Kids look up to their parents, hear and take in all that they do or say. What are you teaching your child by hating on your body? Its even worse when a parent makes negative comments to their children about their weight or body.  I cant imagine having a parent, who has unconditional love for me, basically tell me I'm fat or that I have gained weight. Yes I think its important to want your children to be healthy but there is such a difference to me, between saying something along the lines of "you're gaining weight, why are you eating that?' and doing things like making healthy meals and encouraging good food and activity choices. I'm pretty positive that if I have gained weight Ill know and won't need any one else bringing it up, unless  I reach out to them for advice.
I really hope my children never feel bad or put down about their bodies because of anything I do or say. Kids grow up with enough body image issues and bad influences that I don't want to ever purposefully add to that.

So pretty much thanks mom and dad for teaching me in positive ways how to take care of my body, stay active and never saying negative things dealing with body or eating.It really matters a lot and I hope that ill be able to have the same influence on my kids.Love you!


No comments:

Post a Comment